Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Thing #15-Perspectives on Web 2.0

I read all the recommended articles and noticed the common theme of involving the user in the libraries of the future. The articles point out how libraries will need to change their focus since they are no longer the only source for research. When I read Dr. Wendy Schultz's article, the paragraph on Library 1.0 made me laugh. It made me think of an experience I had at the library in my elementary school. I opened a book to read and the librarian yelled at me for "bending the spine". I remember being so confused---don't you have to open the book to read it?! It seems that in the past, some libraries were more like museums. The libraries of the future will be much more open to the users and will provide the tools users require for their research. It was interesting to look into Dr. Schultz's future Libraries 3.0 and 4.0 and imagine what that will be like. It wasn't so long ago that I couldn't imagine ever needing the internet! The only certainty is change, and libraries are changing with the times. It will be so exciting to see these changes as they evolve!!

No comments: