Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Thing #16-Learn Wikis

I actually understand the concept of wikis. They sure would have been helpful when I was in college and needed to work on a project with a group of people (we had to arrange times to physically meet, which was difficult)! I enjoyed the Book Lovers wiki from the Princeton Public Library and think that is a very helpful tool for anyone trying to decide what to read. The ALA wikis (both from New Orleans in 2006 and Washington D. C. in 2007) certainly contained a host of helpful information. For uses such as these, I think the wiki is a brilliant tool. It is amazing how much information you can amass with a collaborative effort! My problem with wikis is that I tend to be protective of "my things", and am not comfortable with the idea of anyone going in and editing what I posted. I think I would only want to use a wiki with a group comprised of a few people I knew I could trust.

No comments: